The Rocket Ship Move
Note: For our purposes, we will call the White side the top and the Yellow the bottom. I will refer to the horizontal planes from top to bottom as the Top, Horizontal Middle, and Bottom. The vertical layers will be called the Right-hand, Left-hand, and the Vertical Middle.
Pre-requisite: Solve the cube so that top, bottom, and one side side are solved. You have probably used The J Move to get this far. (For help, see past posts under Rubik’s Cube.)
- Turn the cube up-side down (yellow side up). Put the solved side face in the back. This is a story move, so hang on for the ride.
- To start, build the rocket ship. Turn the front 180 degrees. Turn the top either right 1 turn, or left 1 turn, which ever choice creates a rocket ship on the front of the cube.
- Blast off. Turn both the left-hand and right-hand sides 1 turn down.
- Something goes wrong. Turn the front 180 degrees.
- The rocket ship lands again. Turn both the right-hand and left-hand sides 1 turn up.
- Solve the cube. Turn the top 1 turn right or left, whichever solves the front of the cube. Turn the front 180 degrees. The cube is done! Congrats!
- Go show off to some gullible person who will believe you are a genius.
- Remember: Upside down. Build the rocket ship, blast off, something goes wrong, the rocket ship lands, solve the cube.
Challenge: Solve the whole cube in 5 minutes or less. Go for under 2 if you can. My personal record is one minute and 5 seconds.
Next I am going to teach you how to make some cool designs on the cube to further impress the innocent masses.
Questions? Comments? Has anyone actually been learning the cube, or am I just recording my knowledge so I can remember?